Thursday 7 April 2016

Daily Poem #6 Nathan

On Gloucesrer Cross: Nathan.

Dressed by the Salvation Army, fed

By City Mission, sits

Wasted.

Maybe it's the drugs that make him simple.

 

I think not. I think he has always been a child.

 

Once, his sister took him in, but I guess he wore her out.

He claims no family now.

It's no fun, being an addict.

 

"Where?" I ask, "Are you sleeping, Nathan?"

 

"Car Park. Off Westgate Street."

 

Until, I guess, an upright citizen, with a full belly,

Complains. Or drunken party-goers piss on him.

 

I think about this, often. There are people who

Stop in sympathy with a pound or a sandwich

And there are people who piss on him.

 

I am guessing, because you have read this far,

That you are not one of those.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment